Are usb headphone generic? ...and swan song.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jun 11 04:07:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 23:40 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:52 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > g wrote:

> > > think about what ad says;
> > >
> > > "Simply plug in to your computer USB port, connect to Internet chat
> > > software and talk away!"
> > >
> > > what are you going to do about software? wine? xen?
> > >
> > I'm using a logitech headset now with twinkle.  I was hoping this would work
> > the same.
>
> What version of Fedora are you running?? In Fedora 7 I have this in
> modprobe.conf:
> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=7
>
> Why it picked 7 instead of 2 I have no clue. But, if Twinkle will allow
> you to select the sound source and you still have a modprobe.conf (which
> I'm reading on this list that 9 somehow doesn't??) you should see how
> it's being handled. Just have it plugged in during boot, instead of
> hot-plugging it, I would guess. system-config-soundcard should then show
> both your usual sound card as #1 and your USB, as #2 or whatever number
> it assigns. I hope this helps.
>
> Me, I'm installing CentOS which will hopefully still have such things as
> modprobe.conf in it. Just call me old-fashioned and weary. I love this
> bunch here and all the hard work they do. So, I'm not being petulant and
> slamming the door on my way out. I just need stable to get the things
> done I need done, is all. And installing CentOS seems to be the usual
> reply when stable is needed. But, I'll continue to hang here offering
> what I can, with whatever I have, whenever I can. Thanx to everyone! Ric
----
well, I have /etc/modprobe.conf and I was wondering if it was hanging
around because it was upgraded from earlier versions of Fedora but the
date on modprobe.conf is yesterday so I would think that modprobe.conf
is alive and well and still part of Fedora 9.

I also use CentOS for servers but not for workstations because I want
the newer versions of lots of things that 'stable' lags behind.

Craig