Checking CPU temperature

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:45:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 18:50 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> >> /sbin/service acpid start
> >
> > If I might butt in here: I have acpid installed and running and I get
> > the same error as the OP. There is nothing in
> > the /proc/acpi/thermal_zone pseudo-directory. This is on an Intel 965
> > motherboard with a Core 2 Dual cpu.
> >
> > OTOH I have installed 'sensors' and 'coretemp' (required for Intel dual
> > cores AFAIK), and they work. Also KSensors under KDE (gkrellm also
> > works).
> >
> > Note that you need to run 'sensors -l' as root to set things up.
>
> Thanks, Patrick. How did you install coretemp? I do have also a dual
> core with (I guess) the same motherboard.

Correction, most of what I said was wrong in detail, but the basic
message is still correct :-)

1) In F9 coretemp now comes with the kernel (in FC8 I remember
downloading and installing it separately).

2) The package you need is lm_sensors.

3) You need to run sensors-detect (as root) to set it up. This isn't
automatic because the config script is interactive (some of the probes
can potentially crash your system).

Sorry about the confusion.

poc