I HATE Evolution ! Thunderbird ?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 14:22:54 UTC 2008

> I've been using kmail for several years.  Tried evo and hated it - of course
> that was years ago, so it may be quite different now.  Tried Thunderbird, but
> there were too many things in kmail that I couldn't do in t'bird, so here I
> stay :-)

I also used to use kmail a lot but eventually gave up on it due to its
imap support not being that good (IMHO). Does it still force the user to
choose when setting up an imap account between 'imap' and 'disconnected
imap' ? Either you choose 'imap' where messages are only downloaded as
they are needed, but you have no offline support, or 'disconnected
imap', where they are available offlne, but kmail insists you download
them *all*, not just as and when you read them. This always seemed an
insane choice to me

I now use thunderbird which has the best of both, offline support and
download on demand...

I hope kmail's imap support gets some attention in KDE4, if it does then
I might go back ...

Chris