I am confused about DHCP

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jun 14 15:55:17 UTC 2008

Antonio M wrote:
> I have a small LAN with DHCP running on Fedora 9. I checked the active
> leases: this is the list of active leases
> 1)I don't understand how IP address is connected to MAC address, i.e. if
> a MAC has already an IP address, should a new lease be started with same
> MAC address?? I see 5 IP's connected to same MAC address
> 2) How are  the IP adressess released?? I would expect 192.168.0.63
> <http://192.168.0.63> after 192.168.0.62 <http://192.168.0.62> and so
> on... (please note that 00:16:d4:dc:a7:08 sometimes is started by F9 and
> sometimes by F10
>

> 200 IP addresses available, 6 allocated (3 %)

Does this happen on all machines, or just on some? And what does
"ifconfig -a" on the machines with multiple IP addresses show? Do you
have multiple aliases configured?

I would have to go revisit the DHCP man pages and perhaps RFC to see
what should be done if another request is made.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>