[OT] Are security updates necessary?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 18:43:22 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 6/14/08, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:

> From: Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net>
> Subject: [OT] Are security updates necessary?
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 11:18 AM
> On Sat June 14 2008 10:29:48 Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Mike Bird
> <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> > > I'm writing this in F8 after reverting back
> from F9 due to KDE 4.0, but
> > > IIRC security updates for F8 end in six months
> and security updates for
> > > F7 just ended.
> >
> > Yah... don't use your machine on the public
> internet, don't use
> > unnecessary services, you'll be fine.
>
> Provided you also don't browse the web, read emails, or
> accept
> documents from others, then maybe you don't need
> security updates.
>
> I still have a few FC3 servers behind multiple layers of
> firewalls
> but in general I wouldn't recommend living without
> security updates.
>
> However the thread topic is whether we can hope to see KDE
> 3.5 in F10.
>
> --Mike Bird
>
> --

I am not a developer, I am just a regular user, but I do not see it happening.  A good idea would be to make a KDE 3.5.10 after KDE 3.5.9 to continue with KDE 3.5.X series, but it won't happen :(

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Schedule

If you want KDE 3.5.X, and still use Fedora you can use Fedora 9-X where X is a number less than 8, or a LiveCD which does not care for any updates, and you can still run and start without problems/updates/etc.

Regards,

Antonio