f9 grub kernel arguments and kickstart questions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 15 03:11:15 UTC 2008

Skunk Worx:
> Sounds like I'll be fine in any case. My concern was the UUID could
> somehow be constructed from the mac address or other things, linking the
> drive to the machine, like you-know-who tends to do.

As far as I'm aware, it's just pseudo-random content to generate a
hopefully unique ID.

> Sorry my question was not clear...I want to *remove* the two options via
> kickstart...have them not be in the grub.conf after the network install.

If you don't want RHGB, then you could try removing its RPM package from
the installation list.

> I prefer  the older text scrolling...even if it takes a little longer to
> boot...our installs have to run on a lot of different cards and displays
> and IMHO this has been a more reliable way to see failure messages
> during the boot sequence.

Me too, while I've found RHGB handy because it can show more text on
screen (when you open the details) and I can easily scroll back and see
something that's gone off the top of the screen, I've found it quicker
to boot without it.  Starting RHGB adds a significant delay (even on a
1.6 GHz CPU system), and there seems to be yet another one as it exits
and GDM starts up.

I haven't observed whether things are quicker, or not, with the quiet
option.  But the computer just sits there displaying no progress for a
few moments during the same time that text would have been whizzing
past.  I suspect the timing wouldn't be much different.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.