Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Mon Jun 16 09:00:36 UTC 2008

On Sun June 15 2008 18:01:26 Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Mike Bird wrote:
> > QUESTION TO DEVELOPERS: Is there any hope of a full KDE 3.5
> > in F10, plus an upgrade path from F8 to F10 that preserves
> > KDE 3.5 configurations?
>
> At this point let me say that KDE is dead, now and forever. The old 3.5
> is no longer maintained, and as you note below, the 4.x branch is more
> compatible at the acronym level than the user experience or application
> compatibility level.

In a year or two KDE 4.x should be as productive for users as KDE 3.5 is
now.  In the meantime I doubt that KDE 3.5 will see many new features but
it is certainly supportable.  In fact, Fedora seems to be the only major
distro that won't support KDE 3.5 until KDE 4.x is ready for prime time.

Kubuntu shipped KDE 3.5 in Hardy which will be supported until October
2009.  They're also shipping KDE 4.x for early adopters.

Debian will ship KDE 3.5 in Lenny.  That means at least three years of
Debian support for KDE 3.5.  They will also have KDE 4.x available so
their users can switch when KDE 4.x stabilizes.

With Fedora out of the running I haven't decided what we'll use next.  I'm
testing a pre-release of Debian Lenny now, and Kubuntu Hardy is downloaded
and ready to try next.

--Mike Bird