F9 install : can't get X to work

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Jun 17 02:15:12 UTC 2008

	I have a problem with installing F9, which I think can't be
hardware.

        I'm trying to shift my #1 machine over from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9.
I got it out from behind the KVM switch, and did the install with direct
connections to the peripherals, so that it could negotiate with them any
way it needed. This worked fine with my #2.

        #1, after what seemed a normal upgrade, however, is so far off
that I just get a brief little box on the monitor saying "Input signal
out of range. Change settings to 1680x1050 - 60 Hz" (which I think comes
from the monitor).

        With RIPLinuX, I can edit what seems to be the machine's own
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (not RIPLinux's -- I hope and believe). I've tried
that a couple ways, trying to clone what #2 (running F9) and #3 (running
F8) have -- the hard way, from behind the KVM switch.

        I would much rather ssh into #1, or simply scp a config file
over. But, although RIPLinux will make #1 connect to the router, it then
refuses ssh and scp from the rest of the LAN.

        Nor have I yet managed to get it to boot from its own hard drive
into init3. I can hit "I" for the interactive boot, but no matter how
fast I type init3, it still goes to that promptless demand from the
monitor.

        With RIPLinux, if it gets to its useless, promptless display, I
can hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get a root prompt; but with the machine
booted from the hard drive, that fails.

        #1 machine did fine with this  monitor (an HP w2207h), twice,
running F8 both times; so do #2 and #3, albeit without actually using
1680x1050. (They think it's 1280x1024, and one of them uses 1440x900
under that (!), but it's close enough for the monitor itself to
accommodate the difference by stretching.