Gnome Settings Daemon does not start when connecting via VNC

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Jun 17 12:21:58 UTC 2008

> This is my /root/.vnc/xstartup file:
> ******
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> #exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> #[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> #startkde &
> gnome-session &
> ******
>
> Did anybody encounter a similar problem or do you have some hints how to track
> down the issue?

Yep, despite the name gnome-session doesn't actually run everything
you need to start a gnome session :-). I don't normally run a gnome
session, but something like this may work better for you:

if [ -z "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK" ]
then
   KILL_AGENT=yes
   eval `ssh-agent -s`
fi
if [ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ]
then
   eval `dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax`
fi
gnome-session
if [ "$KILL_AGENT" = "yes" ]
then
   ssh-agent -k
fi

Possibly the dbus-launch is the only really important bit.