help! luks encryption doesn't work

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Jun 18 02:11:28 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I can no longer get fedora to mount encrypted drives using
crypttab/fstab. It worked fine in FC6.

If I have a /etc/crypttab file like:

enc-fileserver /dev/sdb1
enc-home /dev/sdc1

and corresponding lines in /etc/fstab:

/dev/mapper/enc-home  /home  ext3  defaults,noatime  1 2
/dev/mapper/enc-fileserver  /fileserver ext3 defaults,noatime  1 2

these luks-encrypted volumes are NOT successfully loaded at boot time.
Instead, I get errors about missing superblocks from fsck.

If I comment out the crypttab/fstab entries and opening the luks volume
manually and mount them manually, they work fine.

Someone reported something similar here:
http://lists.linuxcoding.com/rhl/2007q3/msg01370.html

selinux is disabled.

Ideas? Does anybody have crypttab+fstab+luks working (with passphrases
entered at boot time)?

- Mike