Memory, swap, and limits

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Wed Jun 18 13:46:44 UTC 2008

	Every new computer I've yet had has begun slowing down soon after
I get it -- probably because I keep several browsers open, with from
several to many tabs each. I've learned long since to make sure each
machine has all the memory it can handle from the git-go, before it ever
reaches my house. And every time I do an install, when I get to
anaconda's partitioning stage, I try to triple the swap; it always
refuses.

	Yet the little bar graph that Gnome's System Monitor (2.22.2 on
the present F9 machine; probably the same on all the rest -- I always
upgrade early) puts on my panel seldom shows a total of memory and swap
together much less than 95% in use.

	Otoh, I've never gotten anywhere near filling up a hard drive,
except once when I had a testbed machine triple booting three different
distros. So why can't I at least increase the swap space?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.