Partitioning question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 19 07:18:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 16:20 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

>         Both show /dev/sda1 with 196 MB, labelled /boot -- and /dev/sda2
> (all the rest, 74 GB) with an unknown file system! Gparted offers a
> warning about that.
>
>         Last time I saw a partition with an unknown file system on one of
> my machines, I was told the hard drive must be failing, or about to fail.
> Is that so now??

Show us the output from:  fdisk -l  (that's a lower-case L, not a one)

But an unknown partition type doesn't necessarily mean anything tragic.
It depends how you set your system up.  You might have created
partitions with a peculiar "type" description, but formatted them with a
usual file system.  The partition type label will only preselect a
default file system when it comes around to formatting it.  You can make
other file systems that don't agree with the partition type description,
and the partition type will not be modified when you format them.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.