SSL VPN

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Thu Jun 19 14:51:26 UTC 2008

On Thu June 19 2008 04:55:17 Rick Bilonick wrote:
> I guess I did not explain well. First, I ssh from the server (which is
> behind a firewall) out to my home computer and leave this connection
> open. Then when I go home, is there any way that I can use this
> connection from home? That is, can I somehow tunnel back through from
> home to the server over this connection? I may be totally off base, but
> I thought I read somewhere that this could be done.

Just a reminder that, unless you are yourself the head of your
IT department, you should coordinate this with the head of your
IT department.

Home computers are rife with malware.  Therefore professionally
managed VPNs usually include protection such as firewalls.

If some malware gets into the business, and a security scan
detects an unauthorized tunnel, you could be looking at a
lawsuit or even criminal charges.  So make sure that tunnel
is authorized, eh?

--Mike Bird