Real player doesn't work on F9 under KDE

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Fri Jun 20 14:19:42 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Now it runs the video with no sound at all, but at least it doesn't
> freeze. However there's a continual stream of error messages on the
> terminal saying:
>
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> *** Is your sound server running?
> *** See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
>
> over and over.
>
> poc

This implies that Real is pulse aware.  It is trying to use pulse for
audio, and
failing because your server is down.  When Real comes up, there should be a
way to tell it to use alsa directly, or pulse, or even OSS.  I don't
have it so I
can't tell you for sure, but try   edit->preferences  if it is there.

So, in the above scenario, while the video is running, edit the sound device
preference and make it alsa or OSS.  You should get sound.  And there should
be a pulse of some sort there, that if you select it, works with
pulseaudio.  If it
doesn't, the pulse plugin in Real is probably incompatible with the
pulse server.
Thus the bad sound behavior.