Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jun 20 22:22:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 18:09 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Friday 20 June 2008 21:09:57 Craig White wrote:
> >> My experience is that each Linux
> >> distribution has its own strengths and weaknesses and that all Linux
> >> users benefit from having options.
> >
> > Precisely.  I  use CentOS where I need total stability, Mandriva where I want
> > ease for technophobics and Fedora on the rest.  Where else do you get choice
> > like this?
>

> Anne, and all KDE users. Do any of you really, and I mean really, believe that
> Fedora is responsible for the KDE 'problems'? That the KDE problems are not
> KDE's problems? That Fedora released in their ISO's a KDE that was made
> intentionally to 'break' KDE in Fedora?
>
> I know that you don't Anne  ;-)  This is mostly addressed at the other users
> posting in these several threads.
>
> Ok. How many of those of you that are disappointed or upset with KDE 4.x did
> any research *before* you installed/upgraded? How many of you downloaded a KDE
> Live-CD and actually tried it *before* you installed/upgraded?
>
> If you did not look or try it first you have very little to really complain
> about here. Would you buy a car, a house, rent an apartment, buy a suit, buy a
> pair of shoes without first looking at them or trying them out/on? Try before
> you buy.
----
this is entirely counter-productive...those who maintain the packages
made the decision to go to KDE-4 and those of use who want to use KDE on
Fedora, will either stay on Fedora 8 or live with KDE-4 on Fedora 9.

KDE is committed to KDE-4 and Fedora-KDE packagers are going with the
flow. There is no future in KDE-3.5.x, only the past.

Things have improved since the original release and the Live-CD probably
doesn't approximate the current experience. It's suitable for my usage.

Please don't get into this concept of blaming users because the packages
made the decision to go to KDE-4 and we all have to deal with it. It's
not a big thing but it's enough to cause me to delay rolling out
Fedora-9 to a network of KDE users for now because of their expectations
and level of skills has them putting files on the Desktop which is
presently dead space on KDE.

Craig