OT: need javascript/DOM help

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Jun 20 22:42:15 UTC 2008

Bassel Safadi wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Are there any javascript/DOM gurus out there who can tell me why the html
>>
>>Below is the html being tested.
>>
>>=====================
>>
>><?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
>><!DOCTYPE html
>>   PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>>   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

>><a   id='a'></a>
>>
>><script type='text/javascript'><!--//
>> var d = document;
>> var m = d.getElementById('m');
>> var a = d.getElementById('a');
>> var p = d.getElementById('p');
>> var v = d.getElementById('v');
>> var b = '<br />';
>> m.innerHTML = a+b+p+b+v+b;
>>//--></script>

> will it's simple ,
> what do you want to get from the getElementById('')?
> I mean if you're trying to know what kind of element is it, just to process
> it in some how, then you will not get a result from just using the
> getElemntByid thing for example:
>
> d.getElementById('p');
> will return in Firefox: [object HTMLParagraphElement]
> in IE Mac: [object P]
>
> why don't you just specify what you want to get back from it let's say you
> may use:
>
>  var a = d.getElementById('a').innerText;
> by the way adding href="" to the anchor tag will let  var a =
> d.getElementById('a'); return the href it self, if you still need an output
> that looks like:
> [object HTMLanchorElement]
>
> tell me and will find a work around for you...

Thanks for your generous offer, Bassel.

I need the node so I can use "nextSibling".

What I'm trying to accomplish is to "display:none" or "display:block"
the following element whenever the <a> is onclicked.

As you pointed out "document.getElementById()" returns not the id, but
the href.  (That really puzzles me and differs from the O'Reilly books
on Javascript and Dynamic HTML).

Is this a known bug?  If it is I will have to wrap my tags in such a way
that I can find the other node relative to it some other way.

If you have ideas I'm eager and open eared :)

Mike Wright :m)