Desktop effects, workspaces, and the workspace switcher

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 05:51:43 UTC 2008

    Brian> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 07:29 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    >> I have a 7x3 arrangement of workspaces.
    >>
    >> I just tried turning on desktop effects. Immediately I notice
    >> that the switcher no longer displays an iconic representation
    >> of windows in other workspaces. Is there a way to restore this
    >> behaviour?
    >>
    >> I'm also a little confused about worksapces on a cube - it
    >> seems to be that each individual workspace has a total of 7
    >> desktop panes. This seems

    Brian> Did you log out and back in after turning on desktop

    Brian> effects? I saw the same behaviour until I did that, then
    Brian> everything worked as expected.

No, I hadn't.

So now I have tried that. Immediately I see only one workspace, with
all the windows unmovable and obscuring the GNOME menu bar.

So I close some of the windows, so I can disable desktop effects. All
is working now. I then try re-enbaling desktop effects, but the system
r3eports that it is unable to do so.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire