ssh tunnel problems

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 22 07:58:45 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> You're playing with the local loopback device.  127.0.0.1 is the
>> traditional IP address for it, and localhost is the traditional
>> hostname for it.

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> Not just traditional, it's a required standard (the IP at least).

On a variety of systems, 127.0.0.x (where x can be almost anything) also
works the same way.  On this box, x can be 1 to 255, for pinging, at
least.  Actually, on this box, for "127.x.y.z", x, y, & z can all be
played with, and are still on the local loopback device.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.