how to not lock the screen

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Jun 24 14:21:10 UTC 2008

More data:
The problem went away for a while for no apparent reason.
Hence, I haven't posted in a while.
I turned off my computer when I went away for a weekend.
I turned it on yesterday and today the problem is back.

Any ideas?
The problem is rather annoying.

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, g wrote:
>
> > Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > > I did an experiment.
> > <snip>
> > > Eventually something else blanked the screen and wanted my password.
> >
> > 2 good reasons for what i have 4 suggestions.
> >
> > 1a) if not already level 3, change '/etc/inittab' to *id:3:initdefault:*, reboot.
> > 1b) in 'level 3';
> >
> >   >$ mv .kde .kde.old
> >   >$ startx
> >
> > if still,
> > 2) add another user, login as, if continues, #3.
>
> I got around to trying 1 and 2, but no joy.
> After exiting X, I did notice window manager complaints.
> I kind of fuzzy on what they were.
> Possibly they were the result of trying to run a gnome desktop without gnome.
> IIRC I didn't clickon gnome during install.
> I tried grepping /var/log/* , but didn't find the complaints.

"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called Hardware;  those program instructions that you can only
curse at are called Software."