Fedora 9, multi-monitor, multi-card woes

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Wed Jun 25 01:27:57 UTC 2008

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Jeffrey M. Hardy wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> From FC1 to F8 inclusive, I have used the same hardware to have a
>> fully-spanned desktop using three cards across four monitors.  Rather
>> than being too ambitious at the moment, I am merely trying to get
>> three separate non-cloned desktops across three different cards.
>> Here is lspci output:
>>
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17GL [Quadro
>> NVS] (rev a3)
>> 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
>> MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
>> 05:01.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
>> MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
>
> We see that a lot here.  What is happening is that no single driver
> will handle both of those cards.  Your choices are:
>
> 1. (recommended) dump the $20.00 MX 400 for something made this
> century. :)
>
> 2. run both the legacy and the new nvidia drivers.  This is a REAL
> PITA and takes a level of expertise nearing black magic to make work.
> If you are not a wizard class admin, don't attempt it. :)
>
> When my users bring be machines with mismatched junk video cards to
> install, I tell them strait up that for the time it would take to make
> it work, I could make enough money to buy a new top of the line Nvidia
> or ATI card.
>

> Think about it.
>
> Good Luck!

The thing is, the same driver always did.  I've been running the
kmod-nvidia-96xx series of drivers from livna for years, which supports
both kinds of card.  Unfortunately it hasn't been updated upstream to
work with the newer kernel in F9.  In its stead, the nv driver should do
the trick for both types of card.  And why would mixing drivers matter?
Just a different Driver line in the config for each card.