grubby: unable to open /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jun 26 15:16:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 17:06 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:03:50 +0200, Thomas Rabaix wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just update my Fedora 8 with yum, and I don't want to reboot it as I
> > get an error during the update. I cannot easily rescue it in
> > case of problem as the host is located at a remote location (datacenter).
> >
> > so the /boot/boot.b is missing, the bootloader is lilo.
>
> LILO is not included in the Fedora repositories.
> Fedora uses GRUB for a long time.
>
> > How can I regenerate this file ?
>
> By reinstalling LILO. Manually or as a package.
>
> >   Installing: kernel                       ##################### [ 20/144]
> > grubby: unable to open /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory

----
watching this thread with interest.

I have several Dell Optiplex 320's that will not boot with grub but will
boot with lilo and so I have lilo installed on them.

Unfortunately though, kernel updates do produce the error above (unable
to open /boot/boot.b) generated by grubby. Is there any way around
getting grubby to re-run lilo to execute an update when new kernels are
installed?

Craig