Fedora/grub bug -- I think ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jun 27 13:13:17 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> My grub.conf contains the following line.
>
> splashimage=(hd1,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> I altered my splashimage line slightly by putting a single space
> between 'splashimage=(hd1,4)' and '/grub/splash.xpm.gz'.

The (hd1,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz is a complete path/file name. When
you add a space, you created an invalid file name. Think of the
difference between /var/log/messages and / var/log/messages.

> When I re-booted instead of the Fedora splash image, I got a bare bones
> colourless square with menu items -- which in itself is not surprising.
>
> But also, I no longer saw a double flash of that menu.  It was a very
> quick load, straight to the menu window.  I retried it with the space
> removed but the whole splashimage line commented out.  Again I saw a
> very quickly, single copy, skeleton menu load.
>
> On both occasions there was not a hint of a Fedora splash image coming
> from an extra stage2.
>
> Before I make a fool of myself by reporting this as a bug, does this
> look like a bug to you?  If so, why haven't others seen it.

Dumb question - is this a brief flash, like the video changing
modes, and not a longer pause between displays of the menu?

Mikkel