RAID1 in F9

redhatdude at bellsouth.net redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 27 18:15:10 UTC 2008

From: Zlatko <zlatko.trescec at kc.htnet.hr>

> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 17:35 +0000, redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'd like to create a RAID1 with 2 500GB HD I got.
> > Can anyone point me to a good step by step howto to do this with Fedora 9?
> > Thanks,
> > EJ
> >

> Example:
>
> fdisk /dev/sda
>
> here you can create partitions for the first disk, assuming that your
> first disk is sda. For all partitions, except for the swap type, choose
> raid autodetect type (fd).
>
> fdisk /dev/sdb
>
> do the same thing as for /dev/sda
>
> then do this:
>
> mdadm --create /dev/md0 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
> mdadm --create /dev/md1 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
>
> and so on, for all partitions that are raid autodetect type.
>
> After creating md devices, you must format them:
>
> mkfs.ext3 -L /some_label /dev/md0
>
> and so on, for all of md devices you created. Don't forget to mkswap all
> swap partitions.
>

> Use this as your guide:
>
> man mount
> man fdisk
> man mdadm (or mdadm --help)
>
> --

Thanks for the help Zlatko.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of linux is limited to networking, email and apache services. I've been using linux for years but never had to do something like this.
I don't know how to format the disk with fdisk and I for sure don't know how to mkswap all
swap partitions.
I'd appreciate more elaborate instructions.
EJ