F9/KDE4: Can't access screen resolution changes after software install

John Munn john at veggiemunn.com
Sat Jun 28 01:39:34 UTC 2008

I had a similar problem after trying a new video driver - resolution
stuck as 600 x 800 and not able to change to a higher resolution from
the display setting utility in kde.

To get your x settings back you can shut down x with "telinit 3", then
log in as root at the command line (not an xterm).  Next you run "Xorg
--configure" which will generate a new xorg.conf file in the current
directory which you must copy to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"  (see "man
Xorg").  Finally restart x by "telinit 5".

If you still need to reset your kde settings rename the .kde directory
in your home and then re login ensuring you specify a kde session.

John