MPEG video under Fedora 9

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 28 17:02:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 18:23 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Could some kind soul state as briefly and clearly as possible
> what is required to play a .mpg video file under Fedora 9/KDE/Firefox?
>
> On my laptop I see from System Settings=>Advanced=>File Associations
> that I am given a choice for mpeg video files of
>         GXine Video Player
>         Gnome MPlayer
>         MPlayer
>         Movie Player
>         Kaffeine
>
> As a sample .mpg file I've taken
> /usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg .
>
> [Maybe that is a bad example;
> if so could some guru suggest a better one?
> One incidental difficulty in solving multimedia problems
> under Fedora is that supposed solutions rarely give
> a sample file on which the solution can be tested.
> Perhaps a selection of multimedia files for testing would be useful.
> Is there such a thing anywhere?]
>
> I'm not clear also if Firefox has its own, different,
> set of File Associations?
> Or will it read those set by Fedora/KDE?
>
> I understand that the Fedora developers have a religious objection
> to telling us how to play ungodly video files,
> or even telling us where we can get this information.
>
> But it would be nice if a standard godless informant
> could be agreed on ...
----
do you have any third party repositories installed? Livna? Other?

follow this thread from a few days ago...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02561.html

especially Rahul's answer...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02571.html

but you probably will need some 3rd party codecs installed to play much
of the content that is on the Internet...which is why I asked about 3rd
party repositories.

Craig