Double checking grub-install ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Jun 29 13:42:26 UTC 2008

Thank you D. Hugh Redelmeier;

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 01:25 -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: William Case <billlinux at rogers.com>
>
> | 1) stage1 is one line that is installed on the mbr within the 64 bytes
> | or 512 bits that is reserved on the disk for booting purposes.
>
> Boot records are 512 bytes.  The code must fit into about 440 bytes of
> this.

Yes, one should always double check each fact as one writes something.

And, the little lesson was nice as well.

However, I think the point of my quick description of the boot loading
process was to show responders to my original question that the grub
problem I had was a little deeper and more complex than the normal grub
screw-up.

So I am not too concerned about that small inaccuracy; most people who
actually tried to help me caught the point.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2