need suggestions on troubleshooting pgadmin3

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jun 29 18:28:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 10:01 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:38:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> > Pgadmin3 (postgresql administrator GUI, I presume GTK+ program)
> >
> > My home desktop has been upgraded, probably since FC-4 or FC-5 and now
> > on F9
> >
> > If I launch Pgadmin3, it sticks at the splash screen and never
> > progresses and I can only kill it. It upgraded a month ago or so, same
> > thing.
> >
> > I have removed the rpm and re-installed (both the one from F9-base and
> > F9-updates) but either way, same issue.
>
> Obligatory question: Have you tried it with a fresh user account,
> too?
>
> > I asked the list and others report having no problems running
> > pgadmin-i386.
> >
> > If I launch (as user or even as root), it hangs the same way, with nary
> > anything to standard error or standard out.
> >
> > I can't strace it because by the time I launch it, get the pid and try
> > to strace it, it's already hung.
>
> You can launch it via strace: strace pgadmin3
>
> Ruling out that damaged packages cause this is one thing to do, too.
> "rpm -Va" should not report any damaged files.
>
> > Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot it?
>
> debuginfo-install -y pgadmin3
>
> then run it, attach gdb to it (gdb -p $PID) and backtrace it,
> "thr app a bt" (means "thread apply all backtrace"). That could
> help with finding out where it waits.
----
I didn't know that I could simultaneously launch strace with the
program...that was helpful. I had run the rpm 'verify' but that was
never the issue.

It appears that the problem I had was that there are some splash screens
that are awaiting input but they never do show up on F9/KDE but I could
just hit enter a few times to satisfy the unseen dialog boxes and then
it would run.

Anyone else running Fedora 9, KDE and pgadmin3 - do they have the same
issue?

Craig