Help with notebook wi-fi

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Mon Jun 30 19:19:47 UTC 2008

Robert O. Kahl wrote:
> I'm unable to get wifi working on my Presario Laptop (H-P) Model
> V6719NR.  Any Help would be appreciated.
> The system is setup with Fedora 8/KDE, dual boot with Vista  The
> start-up error message shows:
>
> Bringing up interface for wlan0.   Error for wireless request "Set
> Mode" (8B06)
> SET failed on device  wlan0;     invalid argument
> Determining IP info for wlan0...                [FAILED]
>
> The boot sequence stops and then resumes after exactly 60 seconds!
> The KDE Network Device Manager shows it recognizes the Atheros
> chipset, but I can't "Activate" it.
> A dmesg dump shows:
>          ath5k phy0: Atheros 2425 chip found (MAC: 0xe2, PHY: 0x70
> (Incidentally, it works OK in Vista.  Their Device Manager shows the
> chip is an Atheros AR007)
>
> Any advice on how to correct the "invalid argument" and to proceed
> would be greately appreciated.
>
> Bob Kahl

The Atheros series is only partially supported by the stock kernels -
Take a look at the madwifi packages from livna repository. If you're
luck your chipset will be supported. Even this doesn't support all the
chipsets. I have a MacBook Pro SantaRosa, which has a Atheros chipset
for wireless. I had to download the latest version of madwifi and
compile the kernel module in that before I got everything to work
properly...

John