help with setting up graphics

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Jun 30 21:00:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:05:38 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
	[...]

	[In a long thread, called "Hardware browser??" about ways to
configure a PC with unknown video card, so that it can use a HP w2207h
1680x1050 monitor]

> look under /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> it will give you a lot of info about your monitor and card.
>
> If your unsure what to look for.
>
> Start a new tread with maybe subject: help with setting up graphics/

	I made that "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log|most" and started slogging.
Other than the two lines below, I see nothing that even might be
enlightening.

(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: VIA K8M890CE

(II) <default pointer>: Setting mouse protocol to "ExplorerPS/2" (It's
actually a USB mouse, currently behind a MiniView G-CSIO4U KVM switch.)

	Btw, I *run* machines behind the KVM switch; but I *install* OSs,
one machine at a time, with the machine pulled out from behind the switch
and connected directly to the peripherals.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers