F8 and a GPS -

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon Jun 30 21:31:51 UTC 2008

Bob Goodwin USA wrote:

> I have a Magellan 3100 GPS device that came with a USB cable and a
> collection of Windows software on a CD.
>
> Is there an application for F8 that will permit me to communicate with
> it.  At first I thought I would just plug it in and extract coordinate
> information for my present position but it's not that easy.

I don't know your unit, but my (black box) USB GPS is just a USB-serial
converter (prolific 2303) and a serial GPS unit.

Linux detects a new serial port and GPS coordinates can be read from that.
Best done by using gpsd.

Try plugging the GPS in and have a look at dmesg and lsusb output.
Or, have a look at the Windows drivers (*.INF). You could probably
discover it's just a simulated serial port.

Best regards.

    Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it