A great article on why to use SeLinux

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Mar 1 23:09:31 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 08:41 +0000, klybear wrote:
>> I'm new full time linux user, having temped with one or two distros in
>> the past, and I have to say that my experience of selinux has been
>> frustrating. I never had any Selinux issues with Ubuntu or Debian, but
>> since using Fedora, three of the four problems I've solved so far turned
>> out to be related selinux permissions and the fourth one I'm still
>> working on :)
>
> I can't say that I've really had any problems with it since about FC3.
> And, in all probability, I'll bet that most of the time it's not SELinux
> that has a problem, but badly built software that expects to be allowed
> to do too much on your system.  And users trying to do daft things.

The only place I ever had real problems with it was trying to use xen
and SElinux at the same time. After several months of exchanging eMails,
I decided that I couldn't tell them to play together and since I find
kvm works in both the "does what I want" and "works with SElinux" sense
I just converted.

I still have an FC1 VM to compile some things which don't play with
recent gcc, and the compatibility stuff doesn't fix the changes to the
include files, so I just static link from an old machine. Love it!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>