vmware mouse issues...

Henrik Schmiediche henrik at stat.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 7 19:31:46 UTC 2008

        Hello,

I am running (testing) Fedora Core 8 under VMware Workstation 6.0.2 in
Windows XP. For a variety of reason I often have to access my VMware
Workstation using RDP (Remote Desktop). When I do this the mouse is
extremely jerky and non-responsive. This is a known problem when using RDP
and it solved in a variety ways for different clients:

1)      When running a Windows client in VMware you solve this by disabling
"Pointer Shadows" in the Mouse Properties.

2)      In OpenSuse 10.3 KDE I can fix this by telling KDE to use the
"System Theme as the "Cursor Theme".

3)      In OpenSuse 10.3 Gnome, it seems to work out of the box.

The problem is that I do not know how to figure out how to fix this in
Fedora Core 8. In FC8 KDE I can select "No theme" or "System theme" and it
does not fix the problem. Under FC8 Gnome I cannot figure out how to set the
cursor theme at all (where do I find this?).

Anyone know how to fix this problem in FC8? I realize that there are
alternative solutions like using VNC.

Sincerely,

-          henrik