backup

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Wed Mar 19 21:35:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:24:21 -0400
>  Tom Holroyd <tomh at kurage.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:
>

> > Show of hands: compress backups? Or 1:1 copy.
>
>  What are you backing up, to what media, and what tools are you doing it with?
>
>  The answer to your question depends on the above factors.

I'm using BackupPC to back up all of my stuff, and I decided in the
end to not use compression.  I have a big enough external hard drive
that it's not an issue (even with a few full and partial backups) and
I figure it's mostly just wasted CPU time and electricity for my big
binary files, which as Alan mentioned, are what eat up most of the
space.

reid