Does FC really recommends Re-install instead of upgrade?

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 13:49:28 UTC 2008

2008/3/28 Mustafa Qasim <alajal at gmail.com>:

> Hello!
>          Is it just a myth or really people frequently face problems in
> upgrading FC so they just re-install it. In some other Linux list one said
> that Fedora recommends to Re-install instead of upgrade. Is it true? . And
> what is the ratio and most common reasons that cause the problems people
> face while upgrading FC to new release.
>
> Well for me I haven't tried upgrade I just reinstall FC but now i'll try
> to upgrade and see if I encounter any problems.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mustafa Qasim
> Lahore, Pakistan
> Cell: 0321-6614972
>
> Registered Linux User# 441709.
> --

I upgraded from F7 to F8 with no problems but its not a Fedora thing or even
a linux thing. Upgrades can and often do work well enough but they can also
cause major problems for any OS, especially i think when there is alot of
custom configuration involved but others could address that point better
than I, in any  case  the general rule is backup before you do anything and
when possible a fresh install is better than an upgrade. The general
reasoning is with an upgrade you can inherit problems or some
misconfiguration can cause problems during the upgrade. A fresh install is
just that, a clean slate.

Max