CUPS printers and HP 5600 printer

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Mar 31 23:30:34 UTC 2008

Chris Hobson wrote:
> I have an HP 5600 printer that worked just fine with my Fedora box until
> I changed the black cartridge with a new HP one. On my windows machine,
> I got messages about aligning the print cartridge, and everything worked
> fine after that. However, using CUPS on my (much preferred) Fedora box,
> the printout is always less than good quality, and the system complains
> that the printer is low on ink (which it isn't, since its a new
> cartridge and only used a few times so far)
>
> The printout quality is a slightly slight shade of blue / black, rather
> than the impressive deep black I get on that (horrible) Windows machine.
>
> It seems to be due to the CUPS printer as my wife gets the same thing
> and she has a Ubuntu machine

Make sure you have the hplip RPM installed and run hp-align and hp-info.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -