[Re:8] ATI DRIVER installation problems - asking for help

TNWestTex mcforum at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 1 06:00:27 UTC 2008

bravo_elf wrote:

> Also I've verified if there fglrx driver installed:
>
> [root at localhost bravo_elf]# rpm -qa|grep fglrx
> [root at localhost bravo_elf]#
>
> It means I have
> nothing installed..... so Tim was right about this when he wrote it's
> message about installing packages with mistakes.
>
> Now about my kernel, I almost knew it was i686 too, but what do we need
> to now?
>
> All the updates I download,  have an i386 classification. I suppose
> it's  not only me  :))), but all those guys who uses 32bit
> systems  ;-)   :-)
>
> I didn't clearly understood  your explain about i586 and i686.
> What I know, is that when I need to DL some linux distro
> I need to
> look for i386 type(because I have 32 bit pentium IV)
> Do i586 and i686 different version  for  i386?

Normally the install senses the machine level and sets everything.  Your
Pentium IV is at the i686 level.  It can run i386 code.  A lot of code
doesn't use any of the more recent instruction capabilities and is
designated i386.  There can be trouble if some of the libraries get mixed on
your system.  Did you upgrade thrugh F7?  There was an installation bug on
the F7 CDs that mixed the i586 kernel and the i686 kernel-devel that was a
headache.  Look at the file /var/log/rpmpkgs in an editor and see if you
have a mixed kernel, kernel-devel install.  Since you are executing a i686
kernel the kernel-devel package is the suspect.

Robert McBroom