google mail and thunderbird -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 1 19:04:34 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>

>>> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>>>
>>  >>
>>  >>> Can someone tell me how to deal with this mess?  At least point me in
>>  >>> the right direction.  I am still in shock and not sure what to do
>>  >>> next!
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Bob Goodwin
>>  >>
>>  >> You can access GMail just like any other POP or IMAP e-mail server.
>>  >>
>>  >> Start here or do a Google search for "Thunderbird Gmail":
>>  >>
>>  >> For POP:
>>  >>   http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12805
>>  >>
>>  >> For IMAP:
>>  >>   http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12806
>>  >>
>>  >> You can retain the filters in Thunderbird after fetching the e-mail from
>>  >> Gmail or use the Gmail labels and filters to organize the e-mail into
>>  >> virtual folders for using the Gmail web interface.
>>  >>
>>  >> Take a deep breathe and do some reading...  :-)
>>  >
>>  > One way to use gmail is to grab everything with POP either directly
>>  > from a mail client, or with fetchmail and dump into your own IMAP
>>  > server if you use several clients.  These days you can use IMAP
>>  > directly with gmail but since gmail lets you save an enormous amount
>>  > of mail it can be slow when you connect a new client.   You can
>>  > configure gmail to archive a copy when you download via POP.  This
>>  > lets you delete your copy as you read it, but still be able to access
>>  > it later if you use the gmail web interface.
>>  >
>>  Thanks to all for the help.
>>
>>  I finally have things working with POP, Thunderbird, and Wildblue/Gmail.
>>
>>  Ports 995 and 587 had to be opened in the firewall and there was some
>>  resubscribing stuff peculiar to the ISP required.  The user name had to
>>  have @wildblue.net appended to it, etc.
>>
>>  E-mail appear to be working normally once more; I am reconfiguring my
>>  mail filters and all is happiness and light again.
>>

> You don't normally have to open up ports to which you are sending data

Firestarter indicated port 995 blocked so I opened both of them in the
attempt to get things working.

Curiously I am not seeing my own messages to the Fedora list.  I was
alerted to that by Carrol Grigsby who sent to my address.

I noticed yesterday that I wasn't able to send a test message to myself
at gmail either, some sort of system limitation?

This change has been a real problem.  The Linux computer works with only
those two problems observed so far, but we have a Windows XP and an
Apple Mac that still have major problems which the ISP support is not
much help solving.  They are obviously overwhelmed with people demanding
assistance.  We will most likely spend the next week muddling through
ourselves!

Bob Goodwin