x86_64 desktop system questions

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sat Mar 1 20:02:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 12:31 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> >     Craig> 4. I don't know that 64 bit is all that much faster. I have
> >     Craig> been forced to use it by some of the lower end Dell
> >     Craig> Optiplex systems that just don't run well on i386. You
> >     Craig> definitely benefit if you have over 3 Gb of RAM.  For the
> >     Craig> most part, it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
> >
> > See http://colina.demon.co.uk/?q=node/53 for one piece of evidence to the contrary.
> ----
> I said I don't know...how could that be contrary.
>
> I'm sure you can find specific examples of faster and could probably
> find specific examples of slower too if you tried.

In any case, will keep/try out the 64bit stuff and see what happens.  I
got the rpmmacros stuff from a previous email, and that seems to work so
far.  Will push that as far as I can to see how much i386 I can get rid
of that I don't need.  Pretty much got this desktop down and updated,
now as soon as I get the dvd d/l'd, gonna turn old work station to new
server (much more space to keep files and faster), so more to do heh.

Thanks so much for the replies from everyone so far, will keep a look
out.  Think might take dogs for quick walk while things are settled in
for a bit.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY