graphical desktop does not start after install

Bruno Rebeschini brebesch at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 1 20:34:42 UTC 2008

I just installed the F8 Unity Re-Spin on an old laptop, but the
graphical interface does not start.

I used all standard config options to get the desktop installed. Then on
first boot, I get the config options in text version to deal with
networking, time settings and so on... but I am not asked to create a
new user, and I eventually end-up on the command line interface with
only the root user available.

how can I get the graphical interface to start automatically?