google mail and thunderbird -

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sat Mar 1 23:23:14 UTC 2008

Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> writes:

> Hmm, not sure what's happening but anything I send is hidden from me.
> The only record of this message I will have will be in the "sent"
> file.  I am not receiving my own messages through the Fedora List,
> everything else seems to get to me, just not anything from myself?
> Google mail is doing some curious things.

Bob,

This is standard behavior on GMail.  It does not download messages sent
from you to you using the same e-mail address.

If you want to test e-mails, it would have to be from a different e-mail
address that you can use, sent to your Gmail address.

You might also want to look at this:

  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6588&topic=13272

BTW, if you should decide to use IMAP, you might also want to look at
this:

http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/turn-thunderbird-into-the-ultimate-gmail-imap-client-314574.php

I use this approach, save one modification, to access GMail on my
laptop via TB and on my smartphone (Samsung Blackjack II). Thus, I can
access my e-mail while away from my desk, even when my laptop is still
logged in.

The exception is that I actually delete my e-mail (move it to Trash)
when deleting in TB, rather than simply marking it as deleted. I don't
have a need to utilize the All Mail process for archiving in GMail, as
important e-mails I move to non-IMAP folders on TB anyway.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz