Updating respins

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Mar 1 23:28:18 UTC 2008

While jigbo is better than full downloads of respin images, on fast
moving releases I find that there are still a boatload of changes to
make after only a few weeks. I wind up doing a Unity install from a
recent respin, and then mounting a repository of recent upgrades and
updating again.

Since I have to burn a repository DVD before going to do an install, it
would be nice if there were an easy way to just generate an update
respin of my own, with just the updates we have done in the office (not
maintaining a full rsync mirror).

I have the feeling that there should be such a way, and that someone is
way ahead of me on this, the "Live CD" stuff doesn't seem to be quite
what I want, I need to update the most recent respin with whatever any
system in the office has saved in its yum cache, and make an updated
install DVD.

Note: I do installs in places with poor network connections, install
from a DVD or even the CD set, is the practical way.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>