wicd - better wireless network manager than NetworkManager?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Mar 2 14:34:18 UTC 2008

Izhar Firdaus wrote:

> looking @ the screenshot, it looks more like a wrapper GUI for
> wpa_supplicant , iwconfig, and ifconfig and require user-configuration
> - and focus more for ethernet and wlans. NetworkManager in the other
> hand, is more for JustWorks(tm) with broad range of supported
> connections and features. Static IP, Connection Sharing, and several
> other cool stuff are also on the way for NetworkManager 0.7

The trouble is, NM doesn't "just work" for lots of people (including me),
as is obvious from this newsgroup/mailing list.

In my view, what is needed is a program that just deals with WiFi,
and which tells you what is wrong if the connection fails.
In my experience, NM and system-config-network (in its various guises)
are both quite bad at this.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366