Why Doesn't Evolution Filter Spam?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 16:50:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 16:51 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> Since I upgraded to Fedora 8, the Fedora 8 packaged version of Evolution
> has never filtered incoming e-mail for spam. I've posted on the
> Evolution list but they seem to think it a Fedora specific problem. Has
> anyone else had this problem with Evolution? Although both bogofilter
> and spamassasin are installed (and recognized by Evolution), neither
> ever filters e-mail (this is after months of marking e-mail for junk and
> after installing the backup files for Evolution from Fedora 6).

Take a look at Preferences->Junk Filter. You should see a confirmation
of which filter you are using, and a line stating that the executable
exists. If it doesn't say that, there is a fix: there was a whole thread
on <evolution-list at gnome.org> about this a few weeks ago. It tends to
bite people who upgraded from earlier Fedora versions. I finally sorted
it out following a suggestion of <psimth at gnu.org> saying that it's
actually a Gconf issue. I enlose my reply to his message.

poc

PS I changed from SA to BF last year and have been happy with it. SA
seemed to have a lot of issues (aside from this one, which isn't in fact
SA's fault). The Evo people are now canvassing opinions on whether to
have BF as the default spam filter.