Why Doesn't Evolution Filter Spam?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Mon Mar 3 13:49:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 12:20 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Take a look at Preferences->Junk Filter. You should see a confirmation
> of which filter you are using, and a line stating that the executable
> exists. If it doesn't say that, there is a fix: there was a whole thread
> on <evolution-list at gnome.org> about this a few weeks ago. It tends to
> bite people who upgraded from earlier Fedora versions. I finally sorted
> it out following a suggestion of <psimth at gnu.org> saying that it's
> actually a Gconf issue. I enlose my reply to his message.
>
> poc
>
> PS I changed from SA to BF last year and have been happy with it. SA
> seemed to have a lot of issues (aside from this one, which isn't in fact
> SA's fault). The Evo people are now canvassing opinions on whether to
> have BF as the default spam filter.
> email message attachment, "Attached message - Re: [Evolution]
> Spamfiltering with evolution - NO LONGER WORKS"

Evolution preferences has always shown bogofilter available and enabled.
I had even removed spamassassin and it did not help get spam filtering
to work under Fedora 8. (Bogofilter had been enabled under Fedora 6 and
had worked perfectly until I installed Fedora 8 [I installed, not
upgraded from Fedora 6].) I followed Peter Gordon's suggestion and also
marked some mail as "not junk". I also dowloaded and installed
gconf-edit which showed bogofilter enabled - I'm not sure what
spamassassin showed but I unchecked the two boxes. Now, for the first
time bogofilter appears to be working. At least, I haven't noticed any
spam over the last 8 hours.

Now if I could only get the MAPI plugin working with Exchange Server
2007.

Rick B.