OT: Something better than kino?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Mar 3 15:48:05 UTC 2008

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Fri February 29 2008, Claude Jones wrote:
>> Jahshaka had a lot of promise, and got a bunch of money a couple
>> of years back, including from HP, but, since then, there's been
>> more work on the website than on the code
>
> Checking just now, I find this on the Jahshaka website - it would appear that
> my observations were on the mark:
>
> "We are pleased to announce that the jahshaka project has been liberated from
> its evil benefactors and is now free to get back to its roots and start
> building the high end visual effects tools it set out to deliver!
>
> For the past 2 years our project has been held up by a group of sponsors who
> had alternative goals when they took the project over......"
>
> http://jahshaka.org/News/p2_articleid/76
>
> I don't know if HP is among the "evil sponsors" to which they are referring. I
> had always thought they were one of the better corporate players in the world
> of Linux, so I hope it's not the case.

That is probably why I never heard of it before.

I did come across this article about editing videos in Linux, even
though it is Ubuntu based, it does point to a area that is lacking.
What is strange is Linux is used in the film industry, just not in
area's that many are looking at.

http://ubuntu.sabza.org/2008/03/02/ubuntu-linux-subtitles-video-editing-and-dvd-authoring/

--
Robin Laing