Trouble Removing RPM's

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 3 17:49:27 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
> <mailto:mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>
>     I have a x86_64 box that has two of the same rpm :
>     gtk2-2.12.1-5.fc8.i386.rpm
>     gtk2-2.12.1-5.fc8.x86_64.rpm
>
>     I have tried yum and rpm to remove the packages, but to no avail.
>
>     rpm -e gtk2
>     rpm -e gtk2-2.12.1.fc8
>     rpm -e gtk2-2.12.1.fc8.i386.rpm
>     rpm -e gtk2-2.12.1.fc8.x86_64.rpm
>
>     I just want to remove the RPM's
>

> Why do you want to remove it?  A  quick google search makes me think
> you should leave it alone. Even if you think it does not belong,
> another program may require or depend on it to function correctly.
> Have you properly identified this package? do you know what it does?
> Are you absolutely certain that you don't need it?
>
> Max

It's not important as to why I want to remove, I understand how
important it is going to be to other applications on running.
Right now I want to know how to remove these two rpm's, If I could just
remove one of them then it would be easy to remove the other.
If you are using a x86_64 , try what I'm suggesting, if you have two
identical named rpm's try to remove one and you will see what I 'm
getting at, if you are using a i386 box it will be hard for you to
understand.