"Failed to initialize OpenGL" in Fedora 8, used to work in Fedora 7

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Mar 3 18:02:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:48:06AM -0800, Alan wrote:
> > I have just installed Fedora 8 to replace my Fedora 7 installation.
> >
> > Most things have gone very smoothly including VMWare but when I start
> > VMWare Workstation I now get a pop-up error box saying "Failed to
> > initialize OpenGL".  I didn't get this when I ran VMWare on Fedora 7.
> >
> > I have an NVidia GeForce 7300 GS display and have installed the latest
> > NVidia drivers for Linux (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12-pkg2.run).
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas how to fix it?
>
> Are you using the same xorg config that you used in FC7?

No, it was a clean installation from scratch.

>                                                  You need to make
> sure the modules block are removed from the xorg config.  If not, the only
> thing that gets loaded is the opengl modules and nothing else.  (If the
> modules section is missing, it loads everything.)

No modules block in xorg.conf.  The nvidia-settings utility shows
OpenGl as installed.

> Also, if you updated Mesa or other opengl libraries since you installed
> the nVIDIA drivers you will want to reinstall them.  Make sure you install
> the 32 bit OpenGL libraries as well.  (VMWare might be trying to use the
> 32bit libraries here so you might want to do it to make sure.)

I got the "Failed to initialize OpenGL" immediately after installing
the NVidia drivers, I've not installed anything since.  The NVidia
installation installs the 32 bit OpenGL libraries by default (I
accepted when it offered to).

--
Chris Green