Automount external hard drive?

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Mon Mar 3 22:15:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Mike Burger <mburger at bubbanfriends.org> wrote:
> Instead of having this in your fstab, you might want to try using the
>  automount daemon handle this drive.  That way, it's only mounted when you
>  actually need it, and unmounts after a period of inactivity.
>
>  Works for me...I use external drives for my Mondo backups, so that I can
>  take the drives offsite.

That would work for me.  Just to be sure: by automount daemon, you
mean autofs, right?

Do your automounted drives need to be fscked periodically?  Is that
automatic, too?  If so, is there a long pause when it needs to be done
before they're mounted and ready to be used?  Seems like a 250 GB fsck
would be painful when it's on-demand mounting....  (Mine are normal
ext3, by the way.)

Thanks, just want to make sure I'm doing this right!

reid