gdm Question

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Mar 4 03:02:51 UTC 2008

TNWestTex wrote:
>> That should work fine.  Just remember to change any files owned by
>> the hsqldb user.  The usermod command will change any files in the
>> user's home dir automatically, but files outside of the home dir
>> need to be changed manually.
>>
> Where would such files be found?  There isn't anything for hsqldb in
> /home.  Maybe it was never invoked by anything.

(I know next to nothing about hsqldb, so I don't have any idea what
sort of files it may create.)

The hsqldb user doesn't have its home dir in /home.  It is in
/var/lib/hsqldb (or at least that's where it is when the current rpm
creates the user).

You can more easily use ~hsqldb (e.g. ls ~hsqldb).  any files in
~hsqldb should have their uid changed automatically by the usermod
command.  It's files anywhere else that you'd want to change manually
(if there are any).

You could use the find command to locate such files:

# find / -user hsqldb

or

# find / -uid 501 # (or whatever the hsqldb uid was, I forget :)

Let's say you use usermod to change the hsqldb uid to 96.  After
you've done that, you could use find, xargs, and chown to change any
files owned by the old uid (I'll just pretend that uid is 501).

# find / -uid 501 | xargs chown hsqldb # for user/uid
# find / -gid 501 | xargs chgrp hsqldb # for group/gid

Of course, you should check the man pages and ensure that I haven't
made any nasty errors in those commands before running them. ;)

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -- Mark Twain (1835-1910)