Why is F8 nm-applet Not as Good as the F6 Version?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:41:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Rick Bilonick <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
> When I used networkmanager and nm-applet under Fedora 6, it made it easy
>  to choose either "wired" or "wireless" networks. You just clicked which
>  one you wanted. In Fedora 8, nm-applet does not have a "wired" choice
>  (it only shows the wireless networks). So since I upgraded to Fedora 8
>  about 2 months ago, I have to struggle with networkmanager to use wired
>  ethernet at work and wireless at home. At work I have to turnoff
>  networkmanager (via services), kill wpa_supplicant and nm-applet and
>  type in the dns (nm always overwrites the fixed dns) before connecting
>  to the wired network. Before I leave work, then I need to re-enable
>  networkmanager via services and allow networkmanager to control the
>  wireless card (wlan0) so I'll be able to connect at home. It was SO
>  simple under F6 and its such a mess under F8. Or am I missing something?
>  I tried wireless assistant but SELINUX blocks it from running. I also
>  tried wifiradar but it NEVER connects at home (even though I've given it
>  the same info). At least nm works at home and at work using WPA when I
>  need a wireless connection at work.

So I'm guessing the NetworkManager upgrades aren't working on your end :)

Your experience is widely shared, prompting interest in programs like
"wifi-radar" or "wicd".

On my system, I have just permanently turned off NetworkManager and
used system-config-network to set up a few wireless networks that I
use frequently.  Then start them manually with the old

/sbin/ifup myNet

This approach is not so easily adaptable to new environments, but if I
really want to connect, I can see networks with

/sbin/iwlist scan

and then can setup accounts in system-config-network.

Note that s-c-n creates config files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.  Once y ou set up one wireless
network, supposing it is called "eth1" by default, then there will be
a file "ifcfg-eth1" in network-scripts.  If you copy that to
ifcfg-newname, then you can edit that file and then start the wireless
server "newname" instead of eth1.

Well, it is old fashioned, but liberating in a certain way.

Just now, I posted on the wicd thread, you might try that one, I don't
know if it will be better for you.